Charles H. Buchholtz

Default Cutting window glass

Charles H. Buchholtz ) wrote:

: Here's what I've learned so far:

: 1) get an new glass cutter, the old one is dull
: 2) clean the glass first
: 3) lubricate the cutter with kerosene
: 4) cut in *one* smooth stroke
: 5) bear down hard, should hear a crackling sound
: 6) tap along the cut
: 7) snap the glass while the cut is fresh

: I can do short cuts, up to about 2 feet. But I need to do a 45" long
: straight cut, and the glass just won't snap!

Well, I've learned something else: "Make sure the glass is not
tempered glass". The short practive cuts were in smaller sheets of
regular glass, but it turns out that the large sheet I had (which I
didn't want to practice on because it was the only one big enough for
the window) was tempered glass. I could score it perfectly, clamp it
to a table along the score line, and sit on it and bounce up and down
and it wouldn't break.

But I've got no problem cutting the regular glass I was practicing on.

Thank you all for your help,

--- Chip