Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Power lights in loft from lighting circuit help please

On 13/10/2017 23:44, Yam man wrote:
replying to John Rumm, Yam man wrote:

Sorry not been clear in last post. The Fcu will have only 3amp fuse
in for the described light that's goin to be removed if I ever remove
the light from the lighting curcuit. I wouldn't take double sockets
from lighting as I know it's a no no unless amped down to 3-5 amp
max? But I plan on taking cable

Its not uncommon for example to add some sockets in a loft to a lighting
circuit to allow things life aerial amps to to be powered.

from the rear of our socket on the landing down inside wall and under
floorboards run of around 6ft then up the inside of cupboard
halfway up wall into 13amp sfu then cable into loft which is run of
around 15-18ft clipping it directly to the wall in cupboard and into
loft then a double switched 13 amp socket from which I want to future
proof and add a 2nd double socket.

If it were just one double socket, then you could do without the FCU
(i.e. it would count as an unfused spur). Its only when you add more
sockets you need the extra fuse.

(Never no might hide away from the
wife and need home cinema kit installed) that's the plan for the
power sockets does that all sound ok? Is there any rule reason not
to use 4mm t&e to spur from socket?

No rule, but also little point usually. If its a 13A fused spur, you
wont need that size cable for the extra current carrying capacity
(2.5mm^2 CSA is rated at 27A when lipped direct to a surface).

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Cables#Cable_Sizes

Also its harder to work with the thicker cable, and you may find it
difficult getting it into the terminals on the socket if it already has
2 x 2.5mm^2 in each one.

I'm using 1.5mm for the lighting
curcuit. Does this all sound ok or am I seriously missing something?

Lighting circuits are typically wired in 1.0mm^2 or 1.5mm^2 so that is
fine... (there is a fair degree of over specification for lighting
circuits anyway, since even the 1.0mm^2 cable is typically rated at
least that of the MCB on most lighting circuits).

--
Cheers,

John.