Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Connections for condensing tumble drier

Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 22:03:33 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 21:31:38 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

wrote:

Hi All,

We are probably going to invest in a condensing (or maybe heat pump
condensing (is it another name for the same thing??).

This is because the only space we have left in the house where we
could locate a tumble drier has no outside wall, or easy way to get
a conventional vent out.

The plan would be not to connect it to a drain, but to keep Emptying
the water out tank.

Am I right in thinking that used like this the only connection
required is electricity in? (No other inputs and no outputs).

Or do they need anything else?

TIA

Chris

Condensing tumble dryers don't need an air vent. They do need a
little more cleaning (to remove lint from the condenser) but IME they
work well.
They don't necessarily use a heat pump (see below) but they have a
heat
exchanging condenser to remove the water in the exhaust air by
cooling it with incoming air. They do need excess water emptying,
but some can be plumbed to a drain rather than using a tank which has
to be carried to the sink. Get one with intermittent drum reverse
(see below).

However, I now have a Bosch one that I believe has a heat pump. A
Bosch Ecologixx 7, WTW86562GB. This cleans its own condenser, which
is good,
except there seems no easy way to check it has done it properly.

We have the WTW86560GB (presumably the previous model or so). It's
about 5 years old.

The air from the drum exits via a filter beneath the door (well, two
filters). It then passes through a matrix on bottom left, and that did
get badly choked after about 4 years or so. To clean it, you first open
the door at bottom front left. Then you use a Stanley knife to remove a
marked panel! Vacuum out the matrix, and attach a special seal plate
you get from the Bosch spares department.

We recently had another fault where it said the water sump was full,
when it wasn't. I removed the top of the sump and cleaned the sensor
electrodes. I also sucked out accumulated fluff and water. It stopped
once more (on the next run) but then seemed to recalibrate itself, and
it's been fine since.

Nothing else has needed doing.

Thanks! That will no doubt save me a lot of research in the nearish
future as mine is about four.

AMI, do you find yours effective in drying clothes? Does it palpably
warm clothes? I do sometimes wonder if ours was defective from new. It
takes three hours to dry a couple of tee shirts.

It does palpably warm clothes. I generally don't use the 'completely dry'
setting.

What you describe is a symptom of the matrix being clogged (if they
haven't changed it).

No, they haven't. I just looked. I assumed you have the WTW86562GB/16,
although the suffix rarely makes a big difference. Looking at the
exploded diagram, it looks the same, and they offer the same sealing
plate as a spare (part 00646776).

Look at the bottom of this page - they call it a Repair Set (a lot of
parts have slightly badly translated names). Exploded drawings there too.

Thanks, but it has not deteriorated since the day it was installed. If
the matrix is blocked it is a manufacturing error rather than an
acquired blockage I did wonder about a heater or thermostat problem
which would have similar symptoms. It gets enough water in the tank and
felt in the lint filter to make an airflow blockage unobvious.

You encourage me to pursue it, I had assumed it was just eco-friendly to
the point of uselessness. Is the service manual freely available?

--

Roger Hayter