Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIG and 309L ?

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 01:29:17 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 22:28:58 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* I'm rebuilding a damaged tractor attachment used for moving those
round hay bales . The highest stresses are on the round "spike" that
pierces the bale . That's part of the failed structure , and I'm
wondering if it would be a good idea to use the TIG welder and some 309L
to weld this to the framework . Everything is mild steel , and will be
welded with either 6013 or 7018 . I noticed that (before the last damage
occurred) the spike had been repaired before from metal fatigue breakage
. This is why I wondered if a SS weld might hold up better in that
location . A set of small triangular reinforcements will also be
considered to spread the stress out over a larger area ... but I don't
want to get into a situation of chasing stress breakages on this thing -
I'm already beefing up the failed mount area by going from 3/8" to 1/2"
plate ... The problem is that these hillbillies are always coming up
with new ways to break **** . So us repair types gotta keep coming up
with new ways to stop them !

* --

* Snag

Tig? Id run rod for that kind of repair....followed distantly by MIG
with a good wire alloy.

---

Definitely run rod. DCEP weld if possible, 6010 would be OK, but 7018
is stronger (if you are breaking the weld this could be important)
7018 is easier to run than 6010/6011 too and is low hydrogen - so less
chance of a brittle weld (if the rod was properly stored, anyway)