Jeff Cochran

Default Fire Insurance Nightmare

Ok, the thing that worries me is this. I insure for replacement value. The
insurance company says " replacement value is the cost to buy a similar
property - market value - the price you paid, perhaps with an inflation
adjustment. Certainly not the price of those other more expensive properties
which, based on what you paid, your property surely isn't."

You can buy $1 million insurance on a $100k property. If it burns, you just
get $100k.

So how to assure convergence between reality and insurance adjustors?

You worry too much. First, replacement cost isn't the price you paid.
It's the price of replacing the house. Your land simply won't burn,
no matter how far you are from a hydrant.

Second, replacement cost is a formula based on square footage and
construction costs. You can easily find the average cost per square
foot for the type of construction you have, and insure for that. If
you're just estimating, try $150 per square foot and see how close you
are to what a new house, less land, would be.

And last, call your agent. They're the only ones who can assess your
specific needs and recommend the appropriate insurance. If you don't
trust them, find another agent.

Oh, and go buy a fire extinguisher.

Jeff