Chia Pet

Default First home inspection coming up...

"Chris Eller" wrote in message

Hello all. My wife and I are 99% through the process of purchasing a home
for the first time. I'll be following the inspector through the home
tomorrow. I plan on taking notes along with him, but I was hoping to
glean some information from the pool of experience here.

Are there things I should especially keep an eye peeled for during the
inspection? This is in south central Indiana, the home was built in 1965
and it has been raining today and is forcast to rain more tomorrow. The
home has an unfinished basement (smelled and looked very dry during a
prior visit, but it had not rained recently).

Thank you all in advance!

Chris

1. Lead paint. You can buy test kits at Home Depot. A 1965 home could have
it. Not a real big deal unless you have children under 7. If you do have
young children it can cause brain damage at quite low levels.

2. Structure. Homes usually rot from the top down. Push up ceiling tiles or
oitherwise try to get a good look at the woodwork supporting the roof. In
the cellar make sure the main beams, supports and their foundations are in
good shape.

3. Environmental issues. If there's an oil tank, make sure it hasn't ever
leaked oil into the ground. Fixing a spill can cost more than a house. Other
issues like asbestos could come up, but you have to decide how big of an
issue that is.

4. Safety. You should have 100 amp service at a minimum, preferably 200 or
more. Determine if outlets are grounded and if GFCI is in basements, kitchen
and baths. Make sure your heat source is properly vented. If you have a hot
fuel, especially wood, you need to strictly comply with fire codes (wood
becomes flamable at very low temperatures over time when constantly exposed
to heat.)