Phisherman

Default Cutting window glass

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:51:57 +0000 (UTC),
(Charles H. Buchholtz) wrote:

So, I've got a busted window, and I've got a lot of window glass
salvaged from another project, and I've got a glass cutter I inherited
from my father, and I think, "How hard can it be to cut a piece of
glass to fit this window?"

Answer: pretty hard.

Here's what I've learned so far:

1) get an new glass cutter, the old one is dull
2) clean the glass first
3) lubricate the cutter with kerosene
4) cut in *one* smooth stroke
5) bear down hard, should hear a crackling sound
6) tap along the cut
7) snap the glass while the cut is fresh

I can do short cuts, up to about 2 feet. But I need to do a 45" long
straight cut, and the glass just won't snap!

Any advice?

Is there any way to make a series of short cuts instead of one long
one?

Thanks,

--- Chip

Get a straight and sharp length of material (wood works fine) and
position the glass score over the edge. The glass should snap easily.
If you are trying to cut a long narrow piece, sandwich the glass
between two pieces of material. It is more difficult to cut several
short pieces than a long one, you'll end up with a serrated edge.
Sandpaper the freshly cut edge.