Chia Pet

Default Cutting window glass

"Charles H. Buchholtz" wrote in message
So, I've got a busted window, and I've got a lot of window glass
salvaged from another project, and I've got a glass cutter I inherited
from my father, and I think, "How hard can it be to cut a piece of
glass to fit this window?"

Answer: pretty hard.

Here's what I've learned so far:

1) get an new glass cutter, the old one is dull
2) clean the glass first
3) lubricate the cutter with kerosene
4) cut in *one* smooth stroke
5) bear down hard, should hear a crackling sound

5 1/2) Place the cut along a table edge and place a board over the part on
the table covering up to near the cut and press down firmly.
6) tap along the cut
7) snap the glass while the cut is fresh

I can do short cuts, up to about 2 feet. But I need to do a 45" long
straight cut, and the glass just won't snap!

Any advice?

Is there any way to make a series of short cuts instead of one long
one?

Thanks,

--- Chip