Chia Pet

Default Fire Insurance Nightmare

wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:24:35 GMT, "Chia Pet" Chia

wrote:

Ok, the thing that worries me is this. I insure for replacement value.

The
insurance company says " replacement value is the cost to buy a similar
property - market value - the price you paid, perhaps with an inflation
adjustment. Certainly not the price of those other more expensive

properties
which, based on what you paid, your property surely isn't."

You can buy $1 million insurance on a $100k property. If it burns, you

just
get $100k.

Actually, you can't.

So how to assure convergence between reality and insurance adjustors?

Everything you said above is incorrect. You can insure the house for

replacement
cost. That means if it burns down, they build you a similar house on the

same
piece of dirt. Not replacement "value" to buy a different house on a

different
piece of dirt - THE COST TO REPLACE BY REBUILDING. Home insurance is not

the
same as car insurance. You need to do a little homework. My insurance not

only
covers the actual replacement cost, but additionally provides the same

amount
for "loss of use" protection. That pays my rent and other expenses during

the
time my house is unavailable to live in.

BB

Ok, thanks. I'll look into it.