Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Rip saw, how many teeth

On 12/10/2017 16:06, Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:52:48 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

The more teeth the smoother provided its not under powered or you
want to saw damp wood.
I hate power saws dangerous things.

As with all tools, they need to be used appropriately but that does not
make them especially dangerous if used correctly. So far every saw cut
injury I have had has been with a hand saw or one sort or another.

I love power saws - they make some stuff so much easier to do.
Handsaws have their place, but ripping boards and panels for utility
projects isn't really one of them. If you're a "fine" woodworker, or
just like the feel of well-fettled hand tools, then knock yourself out,
but I don't think chipboard/MDF/OSB is ever going to be all that
/satisfying/ to work with, just effective when appropriately used.

Yup, there are plenty of jobs where a hand tool will get it done, but I
find it hard to believe that say ripping a dozen 8' long 4x2s in half is
a task anyone is going to relish with a hand saw!

--
Cheers,

John.