Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default One light in fluorescent lamp randomly starts

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 9:15:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

That seems confused. I was talking about the ballasts, which obviously do not need replacing. The tubes you refer to are hardly likely to be original, and even if they are replacing them won't save any power or money. All the OP needs is a 2 pole switch or relay.

It is the ballasts that drive the consumables. Magnetic ballasts of that vintage cannot handle T8 or T5 lamps, some cannot even handle high-efficiency T12 lamps. They also require manual-start switch systems which further degrades the lamps. They also consume considerable power in their own right.

A "smart" electronic ballast will adapt to various lamp options, consumes 30% less power, and will very nearly triple the longevity of the lamps and halve the overall power consumption. As well as being adaptable to input power from 100 - 240 VAC.

The analogy I would use is that I am not required to use single-weight non-detergent oil, paper oil filters (if any at all) and non-resistor plugs in a vintage automobile. Nor am I required to use gutta-percha gaskets or leather belts - that is if I actually wish to drive it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA