Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Quality AM radio

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 9:09:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:

The old Vega/Ocean radios are very cheap dx sets. Some mericans might not like their origins. But don't worry, they don't run Kaspersky.

I keep one of these as well - a small hand-held - and, yes, it does very well. Competitive, but not better than my Siemens RK747. They are not easy to find in good condition, nor do they wear well. I paid $2 + about 4 hours of very persnickety work fixing the battery compartment and re-securing the guts on mine. Pure blind luck that it worked at all - but it does, and well..

https://www.doctsf.com/grandlivre/fiche.php?ref=40940 (not mine).

But if we are going into Euro-Exotics, the very best consumer-grade DX radio I have in all bands is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grundig-Sate...UAAOSwls5Y6-Vk

The second best is the Zenith RD7000Y (and the best for sound overall). Followed by the Grundig YB500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRUNDIG-YATC...AOSwdKZZ2tb Y

Point being that the smaller radios have smaller sound - if that is a consideration.

Repeat: Communications Receivers are a whole different thing. If the OP wants to pull stations from the moon or Mars, that should definitely be a consideration.