*Casey*

Default Best way to re-glaze leaded glass windows

Hi,
You need to get some dap 33 in gray color. Then, thin it with more oil until
it's the consistency of pudding. You pour the mess onto the panel laying
flat and work it in with a scrub brush. Clean off the gross waste and let
dry over night. Then, use wood shavings (coarse saw dust) to clean the
excess oil and putty from the glass. To finish, use a small wooden pick to
clean next to the cames and corners. Repeat process for the opposite side.
You can add "japan drier" to the putty for a more rapid cure.
This is how I used to do it, there may be a better method. There are special
glazing compounds sold by stained glass suppliers, but AFAIK, the dap 33 is
okay if thinned.
Casey

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
I have leaded glass windows that need to be re-glazed. These windows have
about 45 3X3 inch pieces of glass. That's 180 sides for each window!! I
picked out as much of the old glazing from the windows using a dental

pick.
The remaining cavity around the glass is about 1/16" wide and about 1/32"
deep. So far, I've spent about an hour shoving the glaze into 6 pieces of
glass. I am using DAP 1012 glazing compound ("for use with metal framed
windows") and a narrow putty knife. I tried forming a "string" of glazing
compond, but it sticks to my hand, and even if I could get a good string,
it would probably break apart because it would be too thin.

There has to be an easier way. Can anyone give me some hints?

Thanks.

Dave
email doesn't work.