Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default One light in fluorescent lamp randomly starts

On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 13:46:10 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:33:07 AM UTC-4, tabby wrote:

Why do some people rip long lived original stuff out of historic items, fit junk instead, and pay for doing so? Senseless.

Long-lived? Sure, the ballast may be long-lived - it is essentially a step-up only device, but the consumables that go with it lasted a fraction of what a modern lamp will last, used far more power and give far less light per watt.

So, about 12,000 hours (at best) vs. about 32,000 hours (on average) of longevity.
CRI of 69 vs. up to 96.
34 watts (at best) to as little as 25 watts for equivalent output.
Much better aging.

Seems like a pretty simple choice to me. I would prefer to keep my money for other things than wasting it needlessly on power.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

That seems confused. I was talking about the ballasts, which obviously do not need replacing. The tubes you refer to are hardly likely to be original, and even if they are replacing them won't save any power or money. All the OP needs is a 2 pole switch or relay.

NT