John McGaw

Default Best way to re-glaze leaded glass windows

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
"John McGaw" wrote in
:

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
I have leaded glass windows that need to be re-glazed. These windows

snip...
John, after re-reading the web page above, and looking at the window
again, it is clear to me that cement was used initially. Unfortunately,
the windows were installed by nailing in a nail flange (I hope I used the
right term for the sheet metal that goes around a window and then nailed
to the wood), then the nail flange was covered with brick. The only way I
can see to remove the windows is to remove the brick around the window
and pull the nails out, or cut the window out with a saws-all. Neither of
these options is going to happen grin.

A question for you though, can I use the stained glass cement in a very
thick mixture to brush it into the cracks? After it dries, what would you
suggest I use to clean the windows to get the cement residue off, and
make the joints look clean.

Thanks.

Dave

The only methods I know of are variations on the age-old method which uses
whiting as both a drying and cleaning material. Of course I don't claim to
be any sort of expert in leaded glass having taken a sum total of one course
in it and having made a total of one panels myself. But I have read quite a
bit about it and every book and article has used only minor variations of
the cementing/sealing and cleaning routine. Good luck.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please