Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default TIG and 309L ?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 22:28:58 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* I'm rebuilding a damaged tractor attachment used for moving those
round hay bales . The highest stresses are on the round "spike" that
pierces the bale . That's part of the failed structure , and I'm
wondering if it would be a good idea to use the TIG welder and some 309L
to weld this to the framework . Everything is mild steel , and will be
welded with either 6013 or 7018 . I noticed that (before the last damage
occurred) the spike had been repaired before from metal fatigue breakage
. This is why I wondered if a SS weld might hold up better in that
location . A set of small triangular reinforcements will also be
considered to spread the stress out over a larger area ... but I don't
want to get into a situation of chasing stress breakages on this thing -
I'm already beefing up the failed mount area by going from 3/8" to 1/2"
plate ... The problem is that these hillbillies are always coming up
with new ways to break **** . So us repair types gotta keep coming up
with new ways to stop them !

* --

* Snag

I think your gussets will help more than anything else.

Pete Keillor