Dave Solly

Default Best way to re-glaze leaded glass windows

"John McGaw" wrote in
:

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
I have leaded glass windows that need to be re-glazed. These windows
have about 45 3X3 inch pieces of glass. That's 180 sides for each
window!! I picked out as much of the old glazing from the windows
using a dental

pick.
The remaining cavity around the glass is about 1/16" wide and about
1/32" deep. So far, I've spent about an hour shoving the glaze into 6
pieces of glass. I am using DAP 1012 glazing compound ("for use with
metal framed windows") and a narrow putty knife. I tried forming a
"string" of glazing compond, but it sticks to my hand, and even if I
could get a good string, it would probably break apart because it
would be too thin.

There has to be an easier way. Can anyone give me some hints?

Thanks.

Dave
email doesn't work.

Taking it to mean that you are writing about sealing the voids between
the lead came and the glass, you will be forever doing it using
regular glazing compound if you are trying to neatly stuff it in the
cracks one-by-one. Take a look at
http://www.inlandcraft.com/howto/page24.htm and see if this looks more
practical. There are several different brands of cement available from
your friendly local "stained glass" studio but the method is similar
for any of them. This is roughly the method I learned in a leaded
glass class I took: manually smear regular glazing compound over the
panel's seams and use a stiff brush to force it into the cracks and
then use the whiting and another brush to scrub everything clean.

John, after re-reading the web page above, and looking at the window
again, it is clear to me that cement was used initially. Unfortunately,
the windows were installed by nailing in a nail flange (I hope I used the
right term for the sheet metal that goes around a window and then nailed
to the wood), then the nail flange was covered with brick. The only way I
can see to remove the windows is to remove the brick around the window
and pull the nails out, or cut the window out with a saws-all. Neither of
these options is going to happen grin.

A question for you though, can I use the stained glass cement in a very
thick mixture to brush it into the cracks? After it dries, what would you
suggest I use to clean the windows to get the cement residue off, and
make the joints look clean.

Thanks.

Dave