Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Votes for freedom

On 10/10/17 13:09, Mark wrote:
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 22:32:08 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Nightjar
wrote:

On 09-Oct-17 10:41 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
But a referendum so agreed ought to be binding, ...

Why? What practical difference would it make? Making the result legally
binding would not make it irreversible. Parliament can always unmake any
legislation it makes and one referendum can always overturn the result
of an earlier one, as happened with our membership of the EU.

Why else would a Parliament and government authorise a referendum, if
they didn't mean that, in the case of a yes vote, that bound the
government to enact it? That is what anyone would expect.

One of the principles of democracy is we get regular elections; we
don't elect a government who then rule forever. It should be the same
with referenda - people have a right to change their minds and should
be asked regularly.

Indeed. We should have been asked if we wanted to leave the EU every
year for the last 40...

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.