John McGaw

Default Best way to re-glaze leaded glass windows

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
I have leaded glass windows that need to be re-glazed. These windows have
about 45 3X3 inch pieces of glass. That's 180 sides for each window!! I
picked out as much of the old glazing from the windows using a dental

pick.
The remaining cavity around the glass is about 1/16" wide and about 1/32"
deep. So far, I've spent about an hour shoving the glaze into 6 pieces of
glass. I am using DAP 1012 glazing compound ("for use with metal framed
windows") and a narrow putty knife. I tried forming a "string" of glazing
compond, but it sticks to my hand, and even if I could get a good string,
it would probably break apart because it would be too thin.

There has to be an easier way. Can anyone give me some hints?

Thanks.

Dave
email doesn't work.

Taking it to mean that you are writing about sealing the voids between the
lead came and the glass, you will be forever doing it using regular glazing
compound if you are trying to neatly stuff it in the cracks one-by-one. Take
a look at http://www.inlandcraft.com/howto/page24.htm and see if this looks
more practical. There are several different brands of cement available from
your friendly local "stained glass" studio but the method is similar for any
of them. This is roughly the method I learned in a leaded glass class I
took: manually smear regular glazing compound over the panel's seams and use
a stiff brush to force it into the cracks and then use the whiting and
another brush to scrub everything clean.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please