Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Salvage - Hydraulic Pump

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 15:37:42 -0700, wrote:

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 14:31:28 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
I pressed it off with the hydraulic press and had a very dirty, but
pristine spline shaft remaining on the pump.

I spent a lot of time machining a spline broach to mount a pulley on a
salvaged splined shaft pump. When the die-cast pulley loosened after a
few years I bought the $100 keyed shaft pump I should have the first
time.

https://www.zoro.com/hub-city-precis...s/g/00115002/?

-jsw

I'm having fun. Basically I'm turning a log splitter into a dual acting
hydraulic shop press. I've found spline shaft adapters. I'm probably going
to with with a direct drive 1750 RPM electric motor and an oldham style
coupler.

Sadly I found a nipple snapped off in the control valve. Hopefully removing
that won't be quite as big of an adventure.

Greetings Bob,
In case you are not familiar with them I would like to mention a tool
made for removing and tightening nipples. It can be found in the
plumbing section of practically any decent hardware store. The tool is
made from hex stock that has had one end turned and knurled with a
very coarse knurl. In the center of the knurled section a groove is
machined that holds a knurled cam. When the tool is inserted into a
piece of pipe and turned the cam grips the inside of the pipe. These
tools work very well and are cheap.
Eric

Called an inside pipe wrench.