Dave Solly

Default Best way to re-glaze leaded glass windows

Dave Solly wrote in
:

I have leaded glass windows that need to be re-glazed. These windows
have about 45 3X3 inch pieces of glass. That's 180 sides for each
window!! I picked out as much of the old glazing from the windows
using a dental pick. The remaining cavity around the glass is about
1/16" wide and about 1/32" deep. So far, I've spent about an hour
shoving the glaze into 6 pieces of glass. I am using DAP 1012 glazing
compound ("for use with metal framed windows") and a narrow putty
knife. I tried forming a "string" of glazing compond, but it sticks to
my hand, and even if I could get a good string, it would probably
break apart because it would be too thin.

There has to be an easier way. Can anyone give me some hints?

Thanks.

Dave
email doesn't work.

Opps, almost forgot, that's just in inside. Another 180 sides per window
for the outside.

Dave