Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holes in welded and galvanised structures

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 16:09:44 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Interesting. How about these holes and weld tails (see below)? These must be for additional strength and fatigue resistance, right?

Must be.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...posted-public/

Fascinating that the part has 3 weld tails and no (visible) welding on
the bottom left side. Those tabs are under extremely high pressure as
pivot points. Historical failure surely led to this practice. I'll
bet Caterpillar, Kubota, Case, Hitachi, Komatsu, Volvo, etc. engineers
have some stories to tell about them. If you write to them and they
respond, please share it with us. I always got Gibbs-slapped as a kid
because I constantly asked for more details about everything.

-
I've figured out why we have Dems. Uncle Siggy told me:

Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves
responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.
--Sigmund Freud

Unfortunately, some Reps are that way, too. (see CONgress)