Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default What happened toThompsons Water seal?

On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 17:33:54 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 16:14:36 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 14:39:46 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 08:07:46 -0700 (PDT), Steve
wrote:

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 8:03:20 PM UTC-4, G Ross wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Shopdog wrote that 11 years ago. Since then the deck has rotted and gone.

--
G Ross

G Ross, I laughed about this, because 11 years ago, yes, Thompson's already sucked... and then they made it 'suck worse" when the VOC laws got changed. Most of us saw those products infiltrate the stores in early 2011, regardless of whose brand... paints, primers, stains all affected.

http://www.paintdirect.com/voc_regulations.htm

So, regardless of timing, 2006 or 2013, both posters were correct... and as Dusty noted this month, they certainly remain correct today. Thompson's hasn't been right since about 1997 or so.

Look for Cabot's Australian Timber Oil for a transparent (or lightly tinted) product that does today what Thompson's used to do then. Yes, even this has gone downhill based on the VOC terrain, but it's still a high quality oil blend, compared to the other crap on the market today.

General Finishes makes a nice outdoor oil, too... but be advised it's pricey. I don't suspect that the people looking for Thompson at around $60 for a fiver want to pay for General at around $25 a quart, but it's a quality product and worth a mention. I use it on cedar trellises and maybe a bench or table or two, a bench or two, not on my entire deck surface.

I think we need a Constitutional amendment to the effect that if
Congress is going to ban something they have to first come up with an
equally effective alternative that doesn't come at ridiculous cost. Or
just remove their power to ban anything.

Or just get California to quit doing it.

Getting California to do something sane? Are you nuts? ;-)

Nah the glass is half empty on that.