Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default Alloy porosity

On 01/10/2017 20:37, MrCheerful wrote:
On 01/10/2017 20:15, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bill laid this down on his screen :
When you say paint, what with and inside or outside the wheel? Or is
this referring to painting the edges, or more, with sealant.

No point to adding it to the outside, it needs to be inside. The
problem with alloy rims, is that the salt and water corrodes the
alloy, causing a poor seal to develop between tyre and wheel rim. The
corrosion needs to be cleaned off down to bare metal, then the bare
metal painted to protect it.

There are plenty of places that will refurbish wheels to better than
new, but it is not cheap and takes a few days or so.* One of my
customers had his Lexus wheels refurbed because they leaked extensively
and they were fine afterwards, iirc it was about 200 for all five.

For my wheels I strip the tyre, clean the inner rim up, and use a belt
sander on the important seal area around the edge, then spray them with
etch primer, then some silver wheel paint, works fine, even if you miss
out the etch primer.

Can you see the corrosion if you take the tyre off. i.e. is it obvious
to repair.

--
Michael Chare