Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Not so smart meter

In article ,
lid writes:
On 07/10/2017 12:22, Brian Reay wrote:

It seems that the various suppliers fit different ones and, if you
change supplier, the 'old' smart meter is likely to be incompatible with
the new company. Therefore it is switched to a 'dumb' mode, even as I
understand it the 'remote display' can stop functioning.

I had to phone EDF yesterday to cancel the appointment they had made for
me (_again_) to come and fit a smart meter, in spite of being told
repeatedly that I would contact them when I was ready. Whilst there, I
asked about this and (FWIW) they confirmed that these are first
generation meters that revert to dumb if the supplier changes, and that
the second generation ones would be out 'sometime next year'.

There is no money to replace the first generation ones - if you have
one, you are probably now stuck with it.

The original idea was to just update the firmware, but the security
now required by SMETS2 to prevent unauthorised access to switch you
off (at GCHQ's insistance) can't be implemented in first generation
smart meters by firmware upgrade.

If you want a smart meter, wait for a SMETS2 one.

--
Andrew Gabriel