Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW[_2_] ARW[_2_] is offline

Default WARNING : "Atlas Kablo" cables

On 07/10/2017 20:08, Graham. wrote:
fication from a simple measurement would be possible).

The cited pages say that the problem is insufficient copper, not
impure copper.

Which was how remembered it from when it was first mentioned in 2010. If
that is the case then there are two approaches for identification of
problem cables (having identified it first by makers stamp and date
code). One would be if the diameter is measurably different - probably
only useful at non stranded CSAs. The other would be with a R1+R2, or
possibly Zs measurement. However that only yields a useful result if you
also know the circuit length.

I *suspect*[1] that the risk is probably being overstated. It would have
to be very undersized to lose fault protection in most cases. So that
leaves some overload scenarios. Again its likely that we are talking
cable life expectancy reductions from higher than expected conductor
temperatures, rather than catastrophic failure.

[1] the devil will be in the detail - if we can find it.

Adam will be able to tell by biting it with his teeth, the same as he
does with the plug nickels he is offered ;-)

I can tell a 2.5mm from a 1.5mm and 1.5mm from a 1.0mm by my teeth, but
alas should there be any 2.25mm (or whatever they sold) out there I
would not be able to tell it from 2.5mm. The cable was also labelled up
with the size it was supposed to be and with the manufacturers name and
date of production on it.

It's now on our hit list of things to look for when at work, especially
as many places that might have fitted it are getting ready for a 10 year
inspection.

--
Adam