Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default are there salvagable parts in a Sharp LCD tv

In sci.electronics.repair, on Fri, 6 Oct 2017 07:59:54 -0700 (PDT), Tim
R wrote:

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 10:55:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 9:00:36 AM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:
The neighbor has a Sharp LCD tv, small screen size but rather thick profile, with a cracked screen.

The glass in front isn't cracked but if you turn it on there's a nice pattern of cracks radiating out from what looks like a small impact site.

We're trying to figure out how to dispose of it without paying the recycling fee. It's $25 per unit for electronics here. Would there be any components in it worth salvaging? I dunno, power supply, memory, something like that?

I have no idea where you are, but here in Eastern PA, Best Buy and Sears recycle electronics at no charge. Not that there are too many Sears remaining. You might investigate that option.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Currently Best Buy is the only option, and they charge $25 per.

I went to BB a couple months ago and found out they hadn't been free for
18 months. Time flies.

I'm hoping for an amnesty day locally, even if I have to drive a bit. The local landfill operator has a consent degree that may force them to do this.

I don't know if this will lead you to something in your state or not.
It's about 20 miles so I'm planning on taking everything I've got.