Posted to alt.home.repair
hnurcaj hnurcaj is offline

Default Aluminum Ladder load ratings

replying to Nick Danger, hnurcaj wrote:
I have a relatively cheap 200# extension ladder with a stabilizer. That
stabilizer was worth it's weight in at least silver, if not gold! It's a 16
foot ladder which, of course, extends to a max of 14'. I weigh 220 and was
wondering about the meaning of the ratings. In my mind, a 200# rating was
probably tested at 400, 500 or 600 pounds without problem. I realized that
when I extended the ladder to 13 or 14 feet, there was a sway which made me a
little nervous. I felt secure with the side rails because I knew they would
not buckle. I had laid the ladder on the ground with the stabilizer and stood
and bounced on the middle of the ladder (fully extended). If in full
horizontal it was strong enough, I knew that there would be no strength
problem with it leaning at 20 degrees or so up against the house. But the sway
bothered me. Then the solution came to me on how to deal with the perceived
looseness (sway) when fully extended with me up there near the top. What I
did was use 1/2" nylon strapping...(very strong stuff). I wrapped the side
rails at 4 points where the rails overlap with the strapping...one at the top
and bottom of the overlapped section on each side. At each point I put 2 loops
of the strapping on (one piece wrapped around twice) but left it loose enough
where the loops, when pulled, would extend out about 4 or 5 inches from the
side rails. Of course I tied the strapping. That 4 or 5 inch "looseness" in
the strapping allowed me to put a short (8 or 10 inch) piece of pvc pipe into
the loop and twist it until I couldn't twist it any more. To keep it from
unwinding, I stuck a small spike of wood into the closest rung hole which
stuck out enough to keep the pvc from unwinding. By doing this at the 4
points previously cited (bottom and top of the overlapped section of the
rails) ALL sway was eliminated and the ladder felt totally secure. I know that
this would not be recommended by the pros but for me, it solved a a scary
problem problem and made it usable for what I needed it for. Hope that helps.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gs-143081-.htm