Jim Thompson

Default Problem with replacing a bathroom light switch

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:08:13 GMT, "Marilyn and Bob"
wrote:

Sparky,
Let's try this again. You asked what you thought was a simple question, but
what you described as the wire colors in the box is so non-standard (and was
non-standard in 1950) that people are having difficulty understand what is
actually in the box your switch is in. What is important here is that if
there is no neutral wire in that box (a distinct possibility) there is NO
WAY you can put an outlet there without a rewiring job which would add that
neutral wire, which you say you are not prepared to do.

I used to keep several rolls of vinyl tape... red, black, white and
green... to "re-color-code" hack wiring jobs that I couldn't
extract/replace from walls.

Disconnect everything, ohm out or use a tracer, then "color-code" and
re-connect as needed.

Fortunately I'm now in a new house that I watched them wire and
everything is Kosher.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |