Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Not so smart meter

I have no gas, and my smart electric meter does not have the capability
of being switched off, as judged by its spec found online, and by the
assurance from the electricity provider on the phone when I agreed to
have it installed.

Aren't they a bit small to contain something capable of switching 100 amps?

The technical spec for smart meters has required a load switch for a
along time now - eg to disable supply if the meter detects tampering. I
don't see that it's hard to do that inside the meter given this is not a
means of isolation or emergency switching: it's usually just a single
pole job.

Some lobbied for all smart meters to incorporate double pole isolation
so as to avoid the need for people to pull the supply fuse, work live or
call out the operator where there's no isolator )and possibly no room to
fit one). Apparently unsuccessfully.

--
Robin