Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default are there salvagable parts in a Sharp LCD tv

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 10:26:35 AM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 9:00:36 AM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:
The neighbor has a Sharp LCD tv, small screen size but rather thick profile, with a cracked screen.

The glass in front isn't cracked but if you turn it on there's a nice pattern of cracks radiating out from what looks like a small impact site.

We're trying to figure out how to dispose of it without paying the recycling fee. It's $25 per unit for electronics here. Would there be any components in it worth salvaging? I dunno, power supply, memory, something like that?

If it's an older model and of small size, there's not much value. The best way to get rid of it is to put it in your car with a price tag on it (like you just bought it) and park at the mall with your windows down. Go get an ice cream in the mall and the problem will correct itself.

Tried that, ended up with two more.