Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Replacing Wall Outlet - What to do with red wire?

On Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 2:14:06 PM UTC-4, Richardbone wrote:
replying to markrpike, Richardbone wrote:
We are trying to replace a plugin receptacle, this receptacle has two red
wires, two black wires , one white wire and the ground wire. My husband
re-wired the new receptacle exactly the same way as old one (so he says).
Problem is when he switches the breaker back on it blows again. I was unware
that this receptacle was controlled by a light switch since in kitchen I
assume the kitchen light switch, there are two lights in kitchen with two
separate switches, since I do not use this receptacle very much (not in a
convenient place) can we hook it up without the red wires.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...re-802330-.htm

Sounds like you could have an Edison circuit, where one half of a 240V
breaker powers some 120V loads, the other half other loads and they share
the neutral. One half of the old receptacle could have been on the
black, one half on the red, WITH THE TWO NOT CONNECTED ON THE RECEPTACLE.

Look at the old receptacle. Is there a small missing break-away piece
between the two that was removed to separate them? If so, you need to
remove the same piece of metal from the new receptacle. Without it,
if it's an Edison circuit, you've created a dead short which will trip
the breaker. Also, the breaker would be two pole, another indication
of an Edison circuit.