Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing mouse-nibbled cables (twin without earth)

In article ,
wrote:
While lifting some boards to install pipework we found a few cables that
had been nibbled, in one case they had exposed the neutral conductor and
several others where they'd gone through the outer PVC to expose the red
insulation. I've replaced the runs where possible but had to splice-in a
length of new cable (using crimps) when the cable dropped into a
plastered wall.
These splices are half a metre at the longest. In one case the new T&E
went to the ceiling rose but was spliced to a cable without an earth, in
others the T&E is inserted into a length of T. I cut the earth back in
the rose but I haven't encountered T(no E) before so it got me wondering
whether there is any convention when splicing twin+earth into twin (no
earth)?
What's the jury's opinion of insulated crimps (with the correct tool,
and either covered with heat shrink or self-amalgamating tape) for solid
lighting wiring?

If a mouse can get at it, it is accessible. So use a junction box.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.