Sparky

Default Problem with replacing a bathroom light switch

2 wires connected at the switch. Red and black. There's a second red wire
connected to a screw in the back of the switch's box; I'm assuming that's
ground.

I haven't opened the fixture, since it's been painted to the wall several
times it'll be quite a project. If it's important though, I will.

Thanks again.

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:44:20 GMT, "Sparky"
wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm hoping that someone wiser than I in matters electrical will
offer some guidance.

I live in an old co-op apartment. There's a single light fixture
over the bathroom mirror/medicine chest. It has an electric outlet
as part of the fixture. The wall switch is really old, and only has
2 wires.

Here's the thing. I just got a new electric toothbrush. I'd like to
wallmount it and keep it plugged in. That socket is useless for
this at the moment though, since when the light is turned off, the
socket is off as well.

What I'd really like to do is replace the switch with a combination
switch and electric outlet, preferably a GFI. Is this possible to
do with only 2 wires in the wall? I don't have access to rewiring
everything. It's my impression that such an installation would
result in just another wall socket which will go off when the switch
is turned off. Is there a switch will can control the lamp and yet
maintain current to the outlet with only 2 wires?

I was looking at this one:

http://tinyurl.com/ubd2

but I don't fully understand the wiring alternatives here.

If what I'm hoping for is not possible, does anyone have other
suggestions? Perhaps a different light fixture/electric outlet
combo, with its own switch for the light?

In advance, thanks for your help. The toothbrush is important to
me, as it's part of a gum disease care program, and as it is now I
have to keep it plugged in elsewhere, then transport the whole thing
(it's big, has a waterpik like thing too) into the bathroom for use.

If you open the fixture how many wires do you see? Colors? Color of
wires at switch?

...Jim Thompson
James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |
E-mail Address at Website Fax480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |