Jim Thompson

Default Problem with replacing a bathroom light switch

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:44:20 GMT, "Sparky"
wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm hoping that someone wiser than I in matters electrical will offer some
guidance.

I live in an old co-op apartment. There's a single light fixture over the
bathroom mirror/medicine chest. It has an electric outlet as part of the
fixture. The wall switch is really old, and only has 2 wires.

Here's the thing. I just got a new electric toothbrush. I'd like to
wallmount it and keep it plugged in. That socket is useless for this at the
moment though, since when the light is turned off, the socket is off as
well.

What I'd really like to do is replace the switch with a combination switch
and electric outlet, preferably a GFI. Is this possible to do with only 2
wires in the wall? I don't have access to rewiring everything. It's my
impression that such an installation would result in just another wall
socket which will go off when the switch is turned off. Is there a switch
will can control the lamp and yet maintain current to the outlet with only 2
wires?

I was looking at this one:

http://tinyurl.com/ubd2

but I don't fully understand the wiring alternatives here.

If what I'm hoping for is not possible, does anyone have other suggestions?
Perhaps a different light fixture/electric outlet combo, with its own switch
for the light?

In advance, thanks for your help. The toothbrush is important to me, as
it's part of a gum disease care program, and as it is now I have to keep it
plugged in elsewhere, then transport the whole thing (it's big, has a
waterpik like thing too) into the bathroom for use.

If you open the fixture how many wires do you see? Colors? Color of
wires at switch?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |