Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] patmac850@gmail.com is offline

Default painting inside of square steel tube

On Monday, July 16, 2007 at 3:17:43 PM UTC-6, Grant Erwin wrote:
I'm building (slowly, due to lots of travel interruptions) a small gantry.
The legs are made from 4" square steel tube. The central stem of each leg is
open to allow a 3-1/2" square tube to extend or retract. All the other members
are essentially welded closed. I wanted to paint the inside of the vertical
open tubes, about 30" long. I was wondering how to do that and someone on this
NG helpfully suggested I try a 3" roller. Today I did just that - taped the
roller to a yardstick and had at it.

It worked just great! What a clever idea .. for anyone who fabricates with
square tube, this is a trick worth remembering.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Tie a sponge to a wire.
Put wire threw the tube
Fill sponge with paint
Pull sponge threw tube.
Repeat until happy with the results.
Same process for removing rust using the product of your choice
Pulling a chimney brush threw a 4" tube works for me.
Even wrap clumps steel wool and pull it threw.
The options are endless