Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default Why we dont use methanol fuel.

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 12:31:12 PM UTC+1, NY wrote:
"Adam Funk" wrote in message
But don't you want 99%+ ethanol for drinking. The only reason to want
99.9% pure is for further chemical process or fuel.

Even the "rocket fuel" grades for consumption don't exceed 80% by
volume. Normal spirits on the shelf are around 40%-50% by volume.

There is a product in the US called "Everclear" that's 95% ABV (not
available in all states, labelled as intended for making your own
cordials & such).

That would be STRONG. When we were on a cruise to the Caribbean, we went on
a tour on one island which included a trip round a rum distillery. And we
were given the chance to taste the end product - the stronger "for locals
only, not for export" variety. I can't remember what strength it was, but it
was powerful stuff. I think a figure of 70 was mentioned, but I'm not sure
whether that was ABV or proof. What made it all the better was that one of
our group was a rather strange guy who could easily have been a Methodist
preacher from the 1800s in another life, and he went round to each one of
us, urging us not to touch "the evil alcohol", which made a lot of us have
another glass just to spite him. You always get at least one weirdo on any
cruise :-)

70 degrees proof is about 40% ABV, which is nothing special, but 70% ABV is 123 degrees proof, so that might be it.