Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheapie Mist Coolant Unit- think I can get it to work?

"robobass" wrote in message

I bought this thing for around $10 shipped direct from China.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MYIAAO...zw/s-l1600.jpg
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nebel-Kuehlmi...72.m2749.l2649
I don't need mist for most stuff, so don't want to spend a lot on it, but it
would be nice to have. I have a CNC router with a high speed spindle which
holds endmills up to 6mm.
So far I have only tested it with water. It won't siphon up the water at all
unless I run the air at very high pressure. If I lift the reservoir above
the nozzle then the water flows too freely, even with the air off. I've used
mist coolant in the past. The unit I had years ago worked well enough that I
never had to fuss with it, and so never learned anything about how it
worked. The only thing I can think of now is to keep the reservoir high, but
somehow restrict the flow. Any tips, or should I just toss the thing?
Thanks,

*****************

Looks like a pretty typical air venturi vacuum sprayer. It will probably
work. I found that if I didn't set the source tank close to or above the
level of the sprayer it took a lot of air to prime and then you had to turn
it down to run or you would spray all your liquid out in minutes. The
problem with setting the tank up high is then it acts as a syphon and
continues to drip for hours after the air has been turned off. Those may be
ok for your application.

Since I was automating on my CNC machines I opted for flood coolant with a
centripetal pump. When the pump shuts off the liquid flows back to the tank
that can set on the floor or down inside the cabinet below the machine.

One thing to note is that a mist is not as good as micro droplet application
and puts more coolant into the air. Most of the guys I know who are running
"mist" are actually running a micro droplet system. Something like a Fog
Buster, except there are some DIY designs out there. I'd say ask Lloyd
Sponenburgh since he has a nice setup for that, but he refuses to wade
through the off topic posts in this group anymore. If you like you can
usually reach him on the CamBam forums. I think Lloyd and Bubba on that
forum both run DIY micro droplet applicators.