Jay Chan

Default Advantage: Lawn Vac vs. Mower?

I use a push-style lawn-vac machine to clean out the leaves (and also
remove grass clippings after I have mowed the lawn).

Because it cuts the leaves in relatively small pieces before putting
the leaves into the bag, it can pack quite some leaves before the bag
is full. After saying that, I still need to empty the bags at least 7
times whenever I remove one-week-worth of leaves left on my 1/4 acre
property.

This machine is good if you like to compost tree leaves. The leaves
that I left in my compost piles 1 week ago has cooked quite hot even
in this cold weather -- I can see and feel white-hot stream coming out
from the piles when I turn the compost piles.

On the other hand, if you are not into composting, you may not want to
use this machine. You may be better off using a leaf blower. The lawn
vac costs a lot more than a leaf blower. And I am under the impression
that it doesn't vacuum cleaner than a leaf blower can blow either. And
I am 100% sure that it doesn't vacuum grass clippings from my driveway
better than a leaf blower can blow away the grass clippings. In my
opinion, a lawn vac has similar functions as a leaf blower: Both can
clean leaves and grass clippings. The differences a (1) A leaf
blower can clean grass clippings from your driveway better. (2) A lawn
vac can cut leaves into small pieces. Therefore, if cutting leaves
into small pieces is not something that you need, you may be better
off using a leaf blower.

If you have decided to get a lawn vac, you may want to get one with
high suction and self-propelled unit.

- My lawn vac is something like a 4.5-hp. It is OK with sucking
leaves and winged seeds from a hard surface. But it always leaves
winged seeds behind if it is on a grassy surface. I am hoping that a
high suction unit will get everything. (Correct me if I am wrong if
someone has first hand experience with using a high horse power lawn
vac).

- A lawn vac with one large bag of mulched leaves can be quite heavy
(I know that because the one that I have is NOT self-propelled).
Therefore, a self-propelled unit is a good idea.

- The suction head of my lawn vac has one problem: It can easily dig
into the lawn and damage the lawn if I lower the lawn vac close to the
ground. If I don't get it close to the ground, its suction power will
be reduced. It is a catch-22 situation. This problem could have easily
avoided if the suction head is flexible and has a wheel in front of
it; then I can lower the suction head close to the ground while the
head will also has enough clearance from the ground. I don't know if
there is such a lawn vac available in the market. You may want to look
for one that has this feature.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan