Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alloy porosity

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Monday, 2 October 2017 11:37:37 UTC+1, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Oct 2017 11:28:06 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

Just the usual meja ********. If alloy really did go porous, your
engine would soon be scrap. Given pistons are made of alloy and
have been for many a year as is much else on a modern engine. And
the pressure inside a cylinder is far higher than in a tyre.

While I may actually agree with the gist of your argument how many
tyres are repressurized a thousand or more times a minute.

G.Harman

With alloy engine parts, the holes/pores soon block with dirt/carbon
particles.

You have carbon/dirt in your cooling system? In which case something is
porous.

In any event any leakage is made up in the next fraction of a second.
Which doesn't happen with wheels.

No it doesn't. But I'd love to hear of a wheel which was genuinely porous,
rather than just a poor seal between tyre and rim.

And somehow I doubt you've ever changed a tyre yourself.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.