Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Peter Hill[_3_] Peter Hill[_3_] is offline

Default Why we dont use methanol fuel.

On 2017-10-02, Jethro_uk wrote:

[35 lines snipped]

The only scare stories about dodgy distillation comes from the dodgy
people (criminals) involved in making a quick buck from it. From the
legion of UK home distillers .... nada. Not a peep.

I'm not sure I'm prepared to make a possibly fatal decision on the
basis of the feedback from those engaged in an illegal activity.

Unless wood or pectin has been used in the wort the amount of Methanol
in the fermentation is low enough to not be a real issue. It's present
in beers and wine and the liver metabolises ethanol in preference to
methanol, ethanol is the antidote. Most of of the methanol boils off
first and can be discarded.

The major problem with illegal sources is often they haven't used a
still but simply stolen industrial alcohol - methanol. There are plenty
of stories about the use of anti-freeze to make "wine".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_d...l_wine_scandal
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands.../foodanddrink2