Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Frost free upright freezer problem. Long Post

wrote in message
On Friday, 29 September 2017 19:19:35 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

If you can, take the cover off the evaporator plate and see if it is
all
frozen up inside. If it is, the timer could be the fault. Maybe.
There should be/might be little white plastic plugs holding the cover
in
place.

The evaporator seems to be just tubes and fins with air blown through. I
have a hunch that my hot air defrosting is just melting a little ice
which then drips down onto other ice and freezes again.

I'll try looking at the control board again. It has a couple of triacs
on it and I suspect they switch the fan and the heater.

If I can be certain which is the defrost heater, I might be able to
power that up manually, leave the freezer loaded but switched off and
accelerate the defrost process? Worth a go I reckon.

Bob

a classic formula for a fire with a frost-free.

A 2 day defrost really is the first move. If the problem
recurs, you may have a bad timer or defrosting element.

The long term solution is to get a traditional freezer,

Only if you are actually stupid enough to want
to waste your time manually defrosting for the
rest of your life and have somewhere to put
the contents of the freezer while you defrost it.

that way you get to choose when to do
the annual defrost instead of the freezer.

I have never had to manually defrost
my frost free freezer or fridge either.

And it lasts longer.

I dont care.