Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Grom Audio, adding USB and Bluetooth to your car radio

In sci.electronics.repair, on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 22:50:26 -0400, micky
wrote:

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 12:30:27 -0500, Paul in Houston
TX wrote:

micky wrote:
I'm thinking of installing a Gromaudio device that, if your car radio
has a CD changer input jack, allows for USB input, AUX input from a
cellphone, and for another $50 Bluetooth use of the cellphone through
the car speakers and an add-on microphone (in addition to the first
$150).

The most important feature for me is the USB input.

Forget the input jack and use FM wireless. Search Ebay.

Do you mean something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Mus...AOSwImRYjlr j

Yes, I'm sure you do. I bought it. And I've tested it in the car with
a little MP3 player and it works well afaict so far. Now to load up the
MP3 player before my trip in November.

Or this one is ridiculously cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3818484...=ps&dispItem=1 ? this

I think for $3 I'll buy another one, for when I break the first one.

uses a 3.5mm input from a cell phone, but I don't think I'll be using a
cell phone. I can't afford unlimited data. Most likely I'll be dl'ing
podcasts and putting them on a flashdrive. Although I have to say it
might be worth buying this anyhow. It's only $2.85 with free shipping!
OT3H I found a half dozen seller who'd sold over 1000 and only 1 review
came back! He said it broke after a month. ;-)

How can cellphone makers consider getting rid of the 3.5mm jack with so
many things that use it?

IMO, bluetooth phone in a vehicle does not work very well.
The outgoing sounds are muffled, distorted, and hard to understand.
However, if you want to send music from your ipod to the vehicle
audio it works well enough.

Very interesting. I have one that plugs into the cig lighter, but I've
only made one call and, at my request, received one call. I was able to
talk and drive that time, because of the route, but I'm not sure I could
other times.

Actually, the radio itself has plenty of music and I just want to send
talk, downloaded podcasts. That requires even less quality, iiuc.