Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Looking for 3mm Teflon Coated Stainless Wire

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 12:25:57 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
Looking for 3mm Teflon Coated Stainless Wire... I'm looking for .118in
(3mm).

Probably your best bet is drawing a PTFE tube over a wire (and if you can draw the
wire thin on one end, that'd help). It is possible, also, to get thermocouple wire
in alloys like iron or chromel, with a variety of insulations (and mineral-insulated
or Teflon are not unheard-of). Whether you can actually FIND a supplier of
the raw wire with suitable insulation, will be a problem. In the old days, the Omega
catalog would have such things, but that's changed (or my Google-fu is weak).

If you anneal, and take a few wraps around a fixed capstan, you should be able to
gat a Vise-grip and comealong on the tip and
stretch your stainless wire significantly to make a narrow lead section.