Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Salvage - Hydraulic Pump

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017 10:26:03 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 18:03:22 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I was just tearing down an old log splitter (I got it for $60) to use the
mechanic bits for a hydraulic press. The cylinder may be worth what I paid
for the whole thing. It may not. LOL. The control valve was leaking, but
when I started tearing it apart I found it was not leaking. There was a
cracked fitting. Ok. That's easy enough. Its not even cracked at the
valve. it was cracked (and broke off during disassembly) at the next
fitting
a wrench may just take it out when I get to it. I spent a good half hour
cutting the cylinder out with water running on one side while I cut the
metal straps and braces on the other side with the torch. Hopefully I
didn't cook any seals.

Anyway, I got to the pump and it was one of the easiest components to
remove. I unscrewed the belt tension adjusting screw, and it slid right
out. Nice... until I started scraping the gunk and dirt off to finds that
they had used a steel drive pulley, and welded it directly to the shaft of
the pump. Sigh. Looks like its going to be the hardest part to repurpose.
The only thing I can think of is to find a way to clamp up the pulley on
the
mill, and spiral mill the hub out hoping I have enough shaft left to be
useful when it finally comes free.

I'd just reuse the pulley, but its got a huge chunk out of one side. It
would eat belts.

The old Briggs gas motor was pretty rough. That's ok. I plan to use a
continuous duty electric motor on it anyway.

Chuck the motor up on your mill..and turn the motor on, while using
the mill to cut off the pulley. Its not rocket science. Finish up
with a file and Bobs your uncle!!!

Well that would be great if I was salvaging the motor.

run the hydraukic pump as a motor by applying hydraulkic
pressure/flow.