Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default Why we dont use methanol fuel.

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 11:01:32 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 01/10/2017 08:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
I have not looked at this, but some time ago somebody designed a tiny little
generator that ran on methenol for a laptop computer. I don't recall how it
produced electricity, but it did work but apparently the gasses it gave off
could be toxic.
Brian

You can buy them to use for caravans/motorhomes/camping etc. I've not
looked into how there work- I'm not even sure they use an engine.

Certainly in France they sell petrol 'diluted' with ethanol- the signs
say modern cars after a certain date can use it. It is a bit cheaper
than straight petrol.

It's common in the US too.

Large amounts of ethanol are said to cause damage to the fuel system in
cars not designed for it. Lots of reports of things like 'rubber' hoses
disintegrating.

It's not new - when I were a kid there was a petrol called Cleveland
Discol. Claimed to contain alcohol.

I remember that; also National Benzole, whose product contained those delightful compounds benzene and toluene.