Blake Patterson

Default dimmer switch - _hot_ screws

In article
,
"jriegle" wrote:

Add up all the wattages from the lamps that are controlled by the dimmer
that is getting hot. Next, remove the face plate of the dimmer an see what
the maximum wattage is (typ. 600w). If you are exceeding the maximum
wattage, you should reduce the lamp wattage by replacing the bulbs with that
of a lower wattage.

Also, you may find the wattage below the capacity of the dimmer. It is
normal for them to be quite warm when there are several hundred watts of
load.
John

It is a 600W max Lutron dimmer. This one, of the three I mention having
in the house, has by far the greatest load on it. There is another one
where the screws are slightly warm and it has 180W total on it. This
one has between 400 and 500W on it. It is also in a PLASTIC phone-style
box in the wall, not metal, oddly. Bad construction, clearly. So the
box itself is not helping as a heatsink. The screws are quite hot (not
too hot too touch, really, after more experimenting), but the plastic
faceplate on the dimmer switch just feels warm.

Can't decide if this is a problemed switch or if I should leave it as
normal.

bp

--
Heisenberg may have slept here.