Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default car rust repair

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 14:45:06 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 19:01:11 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 8/31/2017 5:20 PM, wrote:
Por 15 is not UV stable. It has to be topcoated.

I'm late to the party, but I have some personal experience here. Back
in '03 I painted a trailer frame with POR-15 and did not top coat it.
(An erroneous page on their web site said that it didn't need to be top
coated.)

The POR-15 that is on the part of the frame that is exposed is intact
and there is no rusting there, or anywhere. It will likely fail sooner
than if it was top coated, but I'm pretty satisfied with the 14 years
that I've gotten.

Bob

So it will be suitable for a boat trailer? Ive got several boat
trailers that need to be wire wheeled and then painted and was
pondering what is the best paint for it. Semi-desert condition when
out of the water, very little rain..much much sun (UV).

Gunner

---

POR15 followed by Black-Kote