Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Alloy porosity

On 01/10/2017 19:33, Ramsman wrote:
On 01/10/2017 19:23, Retro Futurist ... wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
I may be about to buy, from a scrapyard, a set of 5 replacement
wheels for
the recently purchased car to get a spare wheel, proper sized tyres and
wheels that fit the wheel nuts.

In the past, I've often been told that the reason for a slow puncture
was
that the alloy wheels had gone porous.
More recently, I've been told that the cylinder head on a certain
vehicle
had gone porous and that was why it chuffed when cold.

I have always wondered whether this is a standard get-rid-of-him phrase
taught as part of the Car Mechanics PhD (Hons) course, or whether alloy
does actually start to leak.

Does anyone know? Is there any sort of standard test, like wheel
tapping,
that can detect this sort of rot?

I have found them to leak and the seal goes at the rim ......

That's just happened to me, 57 plate Zafira with 61k miles. NSR very
slow leak, taking a couple of weeks to lose more than a few psi. Fixed
at the local tyre place by cleaning the rim and applying fresh sealer.
Two months ago; so far, so good.

+1. I have a very good local tyre place and he knew by the wheel (2007
Audi) that the inner rim had likely corroded slightly and leaked.
Cleaned it 6 months ago and it's needed no air in that time.

--
Cheers, Rob