Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Electrical Safe Tea

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 11:27:51 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

Gentlemen,

I've just come up with a very simple idea to massively improve safe-
working in high voltage cabinets where testing has to be done live.The main thing we need to avoid is suffering a shock
where the current passes through or nearby the heart. This is *most*
shocks when you're fiddling about inside such environments with both
hands. I'm proposing to short-out both wrists
using a metallic bracelet on each, tied to one another via a couple of
feet of light, flexible cable. So for example if you're prodding around
with your right hand whilst somehow touching the chassis with your left
and you touch something live, the current will only flow through your
hands and wrists rather than up your arms and across your chest. And
that's all there is to it.
Now, where have I gone wrong? (I must have done somewhere!)

I would have though that for added safety you would need to ground
your connecting wire so it removes the resistance of one wrist and set
of fingers , a wire dragging around is almost bound to snag on
something sometime and pull a hand onto something live that if it were
free would have stayed clear so it doesn't actually sound that
practical. better not to allow any current through in the first place
and wear insulating gloves.

G.Harman